Saturday, September 30, 2006

September update

Hello!

Wow, another month has passed quickly!

September was a super hectic time here. While my parents visited I completed my teaching practice, in both primary and secondary schools. It was great fun, but totally exhausting too! They are so short staffed (especially maths teachers!) here that I was pratically offered jobs on the spot, but I had to resist the temptation... must finish my degrees this time! (For those of you who asked, I am finishing my math degree and I have just started a Bachelor of Education.)

Matilda was left to entertain her grandparents, and I believe that they had a lovely time together. Brendan was glad to have another guy in the house, and made the most of it with night golf, boat trips, 4WDing on the sand dunes, and endless games of table tennis. We indulged in many delicious meals out trying local delicacies, and spent many lazy afternoons at the pool.

Other big news is that Isabelle is now riding without trainer wheels! There is a bike gang in this compound and their meeting place is right outside our villa, so Isabelle rushes out and joins them as soon as she hears to 20 or more kids congregate. She has now begun her training for Le Tour de France 2007, and hopes to join her Dad and Grandpa on their rides in France next (northern) summer.

Ramadan started a couple of weeks ago, so most things have shut down (during the day anyhow) and we are spending more time at home. The traffic is even worse now once the sun sets, so it is best that way. For those who don't know what Ramadan is, it is a time for the Muslims to fast and reflect on their spirituality. We have to be more aware of dressing modestly, and absolutely no drinking or eating in public, not even sipping some water in the car. There have been so many occasions when we have brought snacks for the car, but have had to put them away forgetting that it is Ramadan.

Thankfully, the temperature has dropped and it is now only mid-40's during the day. The mornings and evenings are fairly pleasant and it is almost possible to sit outside and eat. I was excited the other morning when I drove Isabelle to school and it was 29 degrees (at 6.45am)! First time ever that I have seen it under 30!

We have booked our tickets to Sweden for Christmas. I am super excited about sharing this very magical time with Brendan and the girls. It will be so wonderful to finally introduce them to my extended family who are busily planning the festive week in anticipation of our arrival. We will spend one week in the south of Sweden, and then one week in Stockholm. Finally a White White Christmas!

Thanks also to everyone who sends us emails! We absolutely love being updated with what's happening with you!

Lots of love, Samantha, Brendan, Isabelle & Matilda xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment